• Documents Required
    • Legible copy of passport
    • Detailed inventory in English, dated, and signed by the owner of the goods
    • Transfer of Residence (ToR)
    • Copy of bill of lading (BL) / air waybill (AWB)
    • C426 with cover letter from respective embassy (diplomat)
  • Specific Information
    • As of 1/1/17, owners of the goods must go online to apply for a Transfer of Residence (ToR).
    • An approval will allow the owner of the goods to import their personal & household effects goods into the UK with relief from import duties and charges.
    • Application must be made before packing shipment.
    • Once approval is obtained, the owner of the goods will be given a Unique Reference Number (URN) which will need to be passed onto UK Customs in place of the previous customs form C3.
    • The C3 form will become obsolete on 3/31/2017 and will not be acceptable for Customs clearance after this date.
    • The link to the ToR application can be found at the end of this document in ‘Consignment Instructions.’
    • Contact destination agent for further questions.
    • Documents must be received by agent prior to arrival of the shipment.
    • The agent may charge fees for incomplete or delayed receipt of documentation.


The TOR form is required to clear each shipment through customs. Please see below link to fill up the TOR online.

  • Customs Form (Import Declaration), two fully completed originals need to be provided to Customs
  • Transfer of Residence (TOR)
  • C426 (for diplomatic entry)
  • Visa may be required
  • Work Permit
  • Detailed Inventory in English, two copies, valued, dated and signed by Customer
  • Keys for any locked items
  • C104A/C104F/C384 (Motor Vehicles)
  • C-5 (Pets)
  • Valid Passport


  • Firearms
  • Valid Firearms Certificate issued by the police authorities
  • All handguns other than certain .22 caliber target pistols, are now illegal in the United Kingdom. Importation is strictly prohibited
  • Ammunition, flick knives, explosives and fireworks
  • Meat, poultry, fish and other animal products
  • Radio transmitters (CB radios, walkie-talkie, cordless telephones, etc.) not approved for use in the United Kingdom
  • Trees, plants, shrubs, seeds, bulbs, soil, potatoes and certain other vegetables and fruits
  • Most animals and all birds, whether alive or dead (i.e. stuffed) and certain articles derived from protected endangered species including furskins, ivory, reptile leather and goods made from the endangered species
  • Drugs and narcotics
  • Counterfeit currency
  • Pornographic material and horror comics


  • New items, if less than six months old (invoice required)
  • Plants will need a Phytosanitary Certificate
  • Alcohol, tobacco and perfume products dutiable and must be declared on Customs Form


  • Very strict restrictions apply
  • Health Certificate and proof of inoculation required
  • Customs Form C-5 required
  • Dogs and cats: six months quarantine required in government approved facility
  • Quarantine kennel space limited, must be booked prior to importation
  • Import License – not granted until other requirements have been met, and quarantine (six months) in licensed facility has been arranged

MOTOR VEHICLES: (Including trailers, boats, aircraft, etc.)

  • Declaration to HM Customs – must specify year of manufacture, make, model name, serial number, chassis number, engine number, cubic engine capacity, number of cylinders, whether petrol or diesel, whether left or right hand drive, description of the body, price, the odometer reading, any extra or special features (e.g. automatic transmission) and any defects in the auto that would bring the price down
  • Documents Required:
  • Importation for most private vehicles is duty-free if:
    • Owner moving primary residence to the United Kingdom (Customer living outside the EC must have been abroad for more than twelve months) and vehicle has been owned and used abroad by Customer for at least six months
    • Was not purchased under duty/tax-free scheme, is for personal use and is not to be resold within one year of importation
    • Customs Form C104A (Importing vehicle in connection with moving main residence to the United Kingdom)
    • Customs Form C104F (Importing vehicle for a 6-12 month period)
    • Customs Form C384 (Importing vehicle when duty is applicable)
    • Community Transit Document (T2) obtained from Customs office in the country of exportation
    • Registration papers/Title
    • Police Certificate or Registration
    • Insurance Policy
    • Original Purchase Invoice
    • Log Book

NOTE: Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers.
Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, we cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.

Get Your Free Quote Today!

Save up to 30% on your International Move